Sunday, June 7, 2009

Comment from a very dear friend

Hey, Ray....finished your book today. Thank you for documenting your experiences in Viet Nam! That conflict defined our generation in so many ways, and I appreciate having the opportunity to read what it was like for those like you and Jimmy Swindell who served in the military during that time. Even though I knew in advance you made it through (thank God!), it still kept my interest, and I didn't skip a word. A funny thing...earlier today I caught a movie on TV from that war, and one of the scenes was in a club very much like what you described; the waitresses were serving beer labeled "33", and I knew what it was!

It is amazing to me that some communities, and sadly, Ennis is apparently one of them, don't recognize and commemorate the fallen who didn't actually die on the battlefield. If a soldier died as a result of wounds / injuries sustained in the war, they should be recognized as such! I'm flabbergasted that the Ennis City Manager took that stance! Has that been reversed since your book was written?? Is Billy Caldwell's name on that memorial? What happened to him?

Thank you again for your service! I'm looking forward to your next book, on families. You've endured a lot in your lifetime, and I'm sure what you have to say on the subject will be meaningful and touching in multiple ways!

God bless you!

No comments: